Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The illusion of knowledge

Imagine if you came upon someone with a lifetime of experience supported by an incredible success in helping people fulfill their potential. After a period of communication they offered guidance based on this experience. What would you do?

I can tell you what most do. About 90% plus of the population will seek to analyze the ‘information’ based on their existing paradigms.

Let me say this as gently as I can – if you knew the answers now you would be have all the success you seek. And in reality, you don’t know the answers and you would benefit from letting go of the ‘information’ you have to filter the guidance from those who you benefit from following and modeling.

Even when I place a disclaimer along the lines of ‘I will only give you my time and experience if you demonstrate your willingness to be a student and take action’, the point is often missed.

Recently, following a complimentary profession of low level professional guidance via private messaging, I made the following offer:

“…yes, life changes and you need to adapt. You also need to get more serious about things like xxxx and xxxx for the xxxx and xxxx. the latter of which I have pretty clear guidelines for but only for those who will act on my advice, not for those who want opinions…”

To which ultimately the response was:

“Thank you Ian...I would like, of course, before committing ….to know what these xxxx are, by whom are they produced, and to find out more about their production and, consequently, their respective effects/mode of action…I am sure you can appreciate my reticence and my need to find out more about xxxx, for the very same reasons.

xxxx (and ever more so, given their isolative nature) and xxxx potential accentuation effects should be carefully considered, especially their effects on overall balance when used concomitantly, so I would certainly like more info before going down that route...’


This is a lost opportunity. The guidance will not be forthcoming because the student was not ready. I would not work professionally with this perspective and therefore would not do this in a complimentary sense either.

Here’s a quote that offers guidance on this point worth reflecting on:
“The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.”--Daniel J. Boorstin

No comments:

Post a Comment